Friday, November 26, 2010

Busting through 1000 Miles, My First Century, and Crossing State Lines

It was nearly impossible for me to get up in the morning. Sleeping without the rainfly made my body stiff, and I struggled to get my act in motion as the winds were blowing my gear everywhere. Today was Thanksgiving, and my breakfast included a PB&J sandwich, the last of my Energy Bars, and one packet Gu Gel. I leave my camp with the equivalent of less than $5, a day´s worth of water, and only enough food for 2 sandwiches.

This first 10 miles were incredibly challenging as I was headed due east with a strong southerly wind. I knew that the road would turn south soon, and I would be in for a fun, fast ride. I really wasn´t prepared for how fast I would go. With the downhill, downwind ride, I completed the next 30 miles in just over an hour.

I wasn´t sure if my odometer would roll back to 0.0 or up to 1000.0 so I took a photo as I was approaching the M mark. I now know that I won´t have to use fingers in front of my odometer to signal for each thousand miles.
I come to an area where the road sign says dangerous curve. I have seen tons of these so I basically ignore it. What I wasn´t prepared for was an overturned truck blocking his lane forcing another truck to pass in my lane as I was speeding downhill. My body released a major amount of adreneline as I recognized the situation. The road was sandy, so my back tire was in a skid. I was doing over 25mph and barely slowing. The other truck was on his brakes but still approaching with a blunt grill leading the charge. The only thing I could think was to control my breathing and not to prepare for impact unless it was inevitable. I escaped disaster and took a photo to remember the intense situation I just conquered.
I made it to Nuevo Rosarito and spent half of my money on more water, chips, and some gummy candies. I planned to eat a gummy candy for every few kilometers I traveled as a reward. The chips would be last resort if I couldn´t make it to Guerrero Negro before sundown.
---------------------
The scenery made a dramatic change, and the road was flat and fast with a favorable wind. I crossed the 100 mile mark easily somewhere in here.
------------------
I crossed the state border from Bahia California to Bahia California Sur. Unfortunately, my camera died so I could not snap any photos of the 28th parallel ´Eagle´ monument. I pulled into Gro. Negro and hit the first ATM followed by a marginally hot shower at another fleebag motel. I caught up on my texts and phone calls as there was finally cell service, then gluttonized the taco stand by ordering 3 tacos (chorizo, asada, and pastor), 2 quesatacos, and a torta before passing out in my room with the lights on fully clothed trying to finish The Unbearable Lightness of Being.
My odometer read 1095 for a total of 119 miles. This one will be a Thanksgiving Day that I will never forget.
I am ready to hit the road tomorrow morning and will post again from Santa Rosalia or Mulegé in a few days.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on 1000 & 100! Nicely done! The blog entries are enjoyable to read. Safety first!

Jimmy loves you!

-Megan

CutTheCrackJack said...

The unbearable lightness of being is a good book. good for you, dougie fresh!

-John Jacob Bullspit