Monday, July 18, 2011

Texas, Spain, Italy, and Croatia

I have been distracted from the blog spending time around Texas then exploring Europe.  It seems like a long time since I was in South America and on my bike, and the truth is that is has been.

I don't have any photos to post because the Adriatic swallowed my camera.  In summary, Spain is my favorite European country.  Italy was overrated, and I think Croatia changed my life forever.

Spain: I stopped in Madrid and was immediately impressed with their airport and metro.  The rest of the city did not disappoint.  Amazing nightlife and friendly people abound.  I took a bus to Valencia and was there when the Formula 1 race was going on.  I couldn't afford tickets but met some crazy race fans.  Valencia also introduced me to my first Spanish beach.  Like Brasil, the women wear tiny bathing suits.  Unlike Brasil, the women frequently go topless.  I left Valencia for Ibiza with no place to stay.  I knew very little about the island other than it was good for partying.  The ferry dropped me off in San Antonio and I roamed the streets looking for hotels.  I found a private room near the west end for 25 Euros a night.  It was a steal compared to anything else in Europe.  However, for what I saved on accommodations, I blasted my account through the stratosphere on other things on the island.  Club entrance is 30 to 70 Euros.  Beers are 15.  Water is 10.  3 days was all I could handle.  I then took an overnight ferry to Barcelona.  Barcelona was amazing as was each city in Spain.  I explored all over the Gothic Center and beaches.  Leaving Barcelona left a bad taste as my taxi to the airport was 45 Euros then my flight was cancelled followed by more delays on my new flight.

Italy: The food is famous in Italy.  However, I am not sure what the big deal is.  I guess my expectations were too high as I thought the food was on par with any American Italian restaurant.  There are tons of sight that can be seen in a long day.  I saw most of the main ones except the Vatican Museum.  Renting a Vespa and exploring was a treat.  3 days in Roma was more than enough.

Croatia: The flight had little hiccup, but I was entering Split sans hotel again.  After a few false leads, Katia provided a suitable apartment right in Diocletian's Palace.  Two days later I was on a 45 foot yacht with six of my best friends from San Francisco.  The skipper was about as awful as I could imagine, but we made the best of it.  We sailed to several island and off the coast including Hvar and Vis.  Some nights, we were on anchor, while other nights we were mooring at marinas.  The whole experience changed me and I hope to make a trip similar to my bike one in about 5 years but on a sail boat.

I head to NYC tomorrow and will be back on my bike crossing the country in about 2 weeks.  I expect to take 2 months or so to ride from Montreal to San Francisco.

No comments: