Thursday, March 17, 2011

Iguaçu to Cascavel

I did the last post in a rush and did not upload the videos of the falls.  I don´t know how to do justice to the size and power of them, but videos capture them better than stills.







I had my second flat of the trip.  Immediatly after posting last night, I found my front tire completely flat.  I guess that explains the weird noises from my front time.  I found a hostel with a pool, then set out for my first real Brasilian dining experience.  The service and variety of food was fantastic.  However, the price was much higher.  The number on the bill was about the same as in Argentina, but the exchange rate just went from 4 Arg Pesos per Dollar to 1.6 Reais per Dollar.  I will have to watch myself more carefully going forward.

During today´s ride, I realized that the Reais to Dollar conversion is the same as KM to Miles.  I am already an expert at that conversion so mastering this one should be cake.

I got an early start and was on the road by 7am.  I was told by some that the terrain is very flat.  It has been nothing but rolling hills.  There was even one very long climb, and I think that I am still waiting to get my downhill payoff.  I am hoping my pace for the rest of the ride is faster, but I am not holding my breath.
Ethanol is cheaper than Gasoline but more than Diesel.

Brasilians are very proud of their country.  Or at least this gas station is.

Evidence that the ride is not flat.  Vasts rolling hills of farmland looking to the South.

I thought I would be okay with my Spanish here, but I have no idea what this sign says.  I translate is to mean ´Crying Nebulas Never Ultrapass´

In Cascavel, I found a cheapish hotel for 45 Reais.  I went to the grocery store and was very happy to find peanut butter, Nutella, and spicy potato chips.  I was in heaven or likely Brasil.  On my way back from the supermercado, I found a Shwarma place.  I stopped in and promptly ate two beef Shwarmas.  The owner of the place must have taken a liking to me because he laid down an earful.  He is an Arab and wanted to talk about Michael Jackson.  He asked me how MJ died.  My misuse of drugs answer was wrong.  Apparently MJ had changed his name to Muhammad Jackson and was murded for converting to Islam.  He then went into reasons that the Grand Engineer called Allah sees everything.  1) Why does the hair on your head grow long while the rest of your body´s hair is stops short? Allah´s design. 2) Why do trees not catch fire after being in the strong sun all day?  Allah´s design.  And why are leaves green?  Allah´s design.  He then picked up a order slip made of paper and set it on fire.  To contrast it, he picked up a green leaf from outside and tried to light it on fire but from a greater distance, and shockingly it did not catch fire.  Just to make sure paper will still catch fire, he lit a second order slip.  He harped on the fact that men and women are completely equal.  I must not understand the Arab definition of equality.

I am not likely to pull an MJ, but I told him I need to think about what I just learned and ran back to my hotel.

No comments: